Sunday 28 July 2013

Epiphany: The unavoidable chick flick moment

'Change is constant and inevitable' 

A whole year after starting college, I can now say that the transition from school girl to college chick is now complete. 

First year in college was a train journey into a tunnel, I couldn't see the light at the end and it’s frightening. After every major decision there was rethinking of choices and countless doubts. I don't know how I made it through without quitting or giving up on myself. Though my fears seem silly now, back then they consumed me.

Company. We humans crave for company. Someone to talk to, someone to be with. Even the most anti social person on earth, needs at least some kind of company at one point in his life. That single word 'friend' was what had given me sleepless nights. A constant brooder by birth, I couldn't fathom the idea of venturing into a new life all alone. Safe and sheltered in my school where I was constantly with someone, always talking, gossiping in a group. Always. Surrounded by a group, not a moment alone. When college hit me right in the face with that very concept, it did take me some time to find my footing. But eventually, I did. Today I don't just crave company, I crave good company. Xaviers has indeed changed me. I have finally arrived. I have a personality, ideas, thoughts, emotions and a lot more which I never knew I could gain. Opening your mind, being unique, all of these were almost impossible for me. I was extremely cautious about other people opinions. Looking back at that girl now, I feel like a see my doppelganger. 


My idea of college life was the one popular culture had painted for me, hanging out with friends all day, bunking lectures, going out to parties. None of these have happened yet. But I have hung out with friends in the corridors talking about the most unusual things, I have spent hours in a library reading wonderful books, met many different kinds of people, debated on political ideologies, found my niche, travelled in local trains, met ladies from different walks of life, worked my way towards making up my mind as far as career is concerned, found solace in solitude....and I am still traversing through my college life. Nothing ever happens like you think it will. But when it does, it leaves you spell bound to see the whole picture just come together by itself.

I don't know if what I have today will last forever, I don't know if these friends will be around for long or just pass by..But one thing is know is that I have gained invaluable experience which has changed me. Completely. Now this change is for better or for worse? That’s a question only time will tell.


1 comment:

  1. Fabulous sweetheart!!!Amazed by ur writing skills!!!!!

    ReplyDelete