Sunday 18 August 2013

Tansen had little idea about the greatness that his raga would achieve

It would be a sin to not write about Malhar. With all the emotions, insecurities, friends and adrenaline involved malhar is something that every aspiring writer's muse.
It’s a tumultuous ride, there are times when it seems like too much to handle and times when the sheer excitement is unbelievable.
They say most of Malhar is a big hype. Maybe. For an outsider, malhar is nothing but a chaotic crowd. But for many volunteers, its life
To be honest, Malhar never was or will be my life. It won't dominate and influence me to that extent of saying that it’s all I care about now. But it certainly had an undeniable effect on me.

Last year, I was intimidated by the sheer size of Malhar. It was dominated by the seniors, speaking a language I cannot comprehend. All in all, it scared me off. 
I still don't know what prompted me to apply this year, but I did. It was like taking a plunge into something that terrified me- a whole new group of people, talking to them, interacting, and making new friends. I had just recovered from my first year of learning new faces, and now I had to do it again. And that too with seniors ; the mysterious creatures from the land of hugging.

When I went for the first conclave meeting, I had second thoughts right before I opened the door. I mentally calculated how difficult this would be and all the other things I could be doing with my time I took a deep breath a willed myself to open the door. Before I could, someone else did from the inside. And then I was sucked into this vast being called 'workforce'

The first meeting was..Interesting. Learning new names and faces, talking to a few. At that moment, I thought I didn't belong. Everyone around me was talking to the few friends they already had, and I was staring awkwardly. This other girl with pretty curls was doing the same. And then we noticed each other and started talking.This story doesn't end with pretty curls turning out to be my soulmate or best friend. This story doesn't have an ending.

Over the next few weeks, we worked as a team. It’s amazing how people with nothing in common can bond over a single thought that they share. Amazing that a person like me, who is perfectly comfortable being alone rather than being sociable can actually make friends amidst a unique brand of craziness called Malhar. The constant debates, discussions, jokes, singing, long breaks and some meetings where breaks were longer than the meeting itself! I doubt everyone in that group will remember me, but I know that a few will. I know that over the past few days, as exhausted as I was, it was easier to be dead tired with the group. Returning back to the gcr, had this feeling of coming home after a day's work. The OC and the OGs will always be remembered. Those moments spent with the department, the events, planning, execution, crazy insider jokes and the secret Santa will all be cherished. Malhar gives you a feeling of belongingness, that you are a part of something huge, something which has a system and life of its own.

I feel everyone in Xavier's should participate in one festival or the other. It opens your mind to so many things you didn't know about your college or even yourself.

So for me, Malhar isn't life. It’s one of the many experiences that I will carry with me forever.
https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/images/cleardot.gif



No comments:

Post a Comment